Monday, January 10, 2011

Always the friend

Now don't get me wrong.... I LOVE my friends!  They are the best group of people a gal can have.  We are all different and I think that is what makes us all click.  But when I think about us as a group it is mostly couples.  There are very few of us who are single.  And when I look at the ones that are single I wonder sometimes if it would work if I ever dated one of them. 

I have one in particular that I put a lot of thought into this question.  He has been my friend for over 20 years so why not right?  But as a single mom I can't just put myself out there to date just any body.  Even if I am not looking for a my next soul mate, I have to watch who I bring into my kids lives.  Now don't get me wrong this guy is great... okay good. But he is not someone I see taking my son to a baseball practice and staying to help out.  (Actually I think my kids scare him).  

I think what made me start looking at him in a different way was when Ally got sick.  He called or texted EVERY day for 2 weeks to see how she was.  Ally's own dad called twice in 2 weeks.  And at that moment I wondered if there could be something more.  But when I made myself sit down and think about it... all we will be is friends.

But he is my friend and I thank God every day that he managed to come back into my life (we lost contact for 13 years).  Now we found each other again and I am working on repair the damage I did by not speaking to him while I was married.  And slowly he is letting me in his life and telling me bits and pieces of what I missed.  And now that he is back I hope I am able to keep him in my life as my friend for the next 20 plus years.  No matter who either one of us dates or marries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment